Friday, March 1, 2019

Ask Me

Some time when the river is ice ask me

mistakes I have made. Ask me whether
what I have done is my life. Others
have come in their slow way into
my thought, and some have tried to help
or to hurt: ask me what difference
their strongest love or hate has made.

I will listen to what you say.
You and I can turn and look
at the silent river and wait. We know
the current is there, hidden; and there
are comings and goings from miles away
that hold the stillness exactly before us.
What the river says, that is what I say.


William Stafford



No comments:

Post a Comment

All That Is Gold Does Not Glitter

  All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached b...